Tuesday, August 9, 2016

A Tribute to Rolling in the Open


Today I share a tribute to those brave game masters who choose to roll the dice openly, without screens or cups to conceal the results. Or at least, those whose creed is total honesty, and letting the dice results remain untampered and pure in all cases.


To those who throw caution to the wind, risking the sudden and unexpected demise of player character, I salute you. To those who consider themselves up to the challenge of working around a series of bad rolls, I respect you. As your players face the hordes of flailing, non-threatening foes, I bid you godspeed in keeping their interest. As the critical failures and critical successes lay waste to your best-laid plans, I weep for you.

Yours is not an easy road. Nor is it a path for the inexperienced. The thrill and risk of the naked die roll is its own reward. Fortune favors the bold. So shine on you crazy diamond, giving your players every opportunity to hate you for your blatant concession to the random whims of chance. If you succeed, you will weave a tale of drama and breathtaking suspense in which every die roll holds a fateful twist. If you fail, don't try to blame the dice for your own hubris. You made your choice. You're going to have to live with it.

I salute you, open rollers, and your refusal to fudge or conceal your chaotic dice. You are hardier souls than I ever could be. 

I am impressed by your chutzpah, but I'm going to keep my DM screen, just in case.

Happy ventures! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment